The World Beer Cup, an international tournament sponsored by the Brewers Association, took place one week ago in none other than Denver, Colorado. The competition was made up mostly of US breweries, but saw entrants from a variety of other countries such as El Salvador and Taiwan. The categories ran the gamut of styles, 94 in all, from low-alcohol lagers to imperial stouts. The competition also awarded overall superlatives to Small, Medium, and Larger Breweries and Brewmasters, and Small and Large Brewpubs and Brewmasters.
- Small Brewery of the Year went to Pelican Brewery in Pacific City, Oregon and brewmasters Darron Welch and Steve Panos
- Mid-Size Brewery of the Year went to Coronado Brewery in Coronado, California with the entire brewery awarded for Brewmaster
- Large Size Brewery of the Year went to Coors (wah, wah) and Brewmaster Dr (!) David Ryder
- For Brewpubs, we saw a regional Iron Hill win in Media, Pa for small brewpub with the entire team receiving accolades for brewmaster.
- And large brewpub of 2014 goes to fellow namesake Blind Tiger Brewery and Restaurant in Topeka, Kansas and brewmaster John Dean.
Other local breweries receiving awards are Pizza Boy Brewing in Enola, a silver medal for a beer simply called “Hoptart” listed under the Experimental Beers Categories. I hope it’s the S’more flavor. Stoudts in Adamstown won a bronze for their German-Style Pilsner.
For those interested in the next big IPA, out of 224 entries, by far the most of any category, Hop, Drop and Roll won the gold. Brewed by NoDa Brewing Company out of Charlotte, NC. If you like your IPA’s a bit more bold, the gold winner in the imperial IPA category was Melvin Brewing Company’s 2×4 (a pretty cool name).
Source: World Beer Cup